Rent Agreement in Jharkhand: Everything You Need to Know
If you are planning to rent a property in Jharkhand, it is important to have a proper agreement in place. A rent agreement is a legally binding document that outlines the terms and conditions of the rental agreement between the landlord and the tenant. It is important to have a comprehensive rent agreement to avoid any disputes or misunderstandings in the future.
Here are the key things you need to know about rent agreement in Jharkhand:
1. Who should draft the rent agreement?
The rent agreement can be drafted by either the landlord or the tenant. However, it is best to hire a lawyer or a professional agency to draft the agreement for you. This will ensure that the agreement is comprehensive, legally binding, and covers all aspects of the rental agreement.
2. What should be included in the rent agreement?
The rent agreement should include the following details:
– Names and addresses of both the landlord and the tenant
– Details of the property being rented
– The rental amount and mode of payment
– Security deposit details
– Duration of the rental agreement
– Renewal and termination clauses
– Maintenance and repair responsibilities of both parties
– Restrictions on subletting or altering the property
– Any other terms and conditions agreed upon by both parties
3. Registration of rent agreement
As per the laws in Jharkhand, a rent agreement exceeding 11 months must be registered with the Sub-Registrar’s office. Both the landlord and the tenant must be present at the time of registration along with 2 witnesses. The registration fee is usually calculated as a percentage of the rental amount and is paid by the parties.
4. Stamp duty
Stamp duty is a tax paid on the rental agreement. In Jharkhand, the stamp duty is 2% of the average annual rent plus the security deposit. This must be paid by the party responsible for drafting the agreement.
5. Importance of rent agreement
A rental agreement is important as it helps to protect the interests of both the landlord and the tenant. It provides a legal framework that governs the relationship between the two parties and helps to avoid any misunderstandings or disputes in the future.
In conclusion, a rent agreement is an important document that should not be overlooked when renting a property in Jharkhand. It is advisable to hire a professional agency or lawyer to draft the agreement for you and ensure that all aspects of the rental agreement are covered. Registering the agreement and paying the necessary stamp duty will also help to make the agreement legally binding.